|history of the wmpd||
fighting crime since 1928
Located in northeast Louisiana, the West Monroe Police Department was established in 1928. The original police headquarters was in City Hall on Trenton Street near the Union Oil Mill in downtown West Monroe. This location consisted of a jail and the police chief's office but unfortunately had to be demolished in the 1960's due to a fire.
The department has been led by eight chiefs since its inception; James Monroe Hammond, Julian Cobb, Roy M. Steel, J. W. "Jeff" Caldwell, Johnny B. Mitchell, Larry M. LaBorde, Bryan R. Boney and currently, Christopher L. Elg.
The city of West Monroe has a population of 15,000 with a daily transient population of approximately 115,000. Our four patrol zones encompass eight and one-half square miles including five exits on Interstate 20 which is a major thoroughfare between Houston, Tx. and Atlanta, Ga. We receive over 20,000 calls for service each year.
Earning accreditation in 1993, the West Monroe Police Department was the first nationally accredited agency in the state of Louisiana. Since 1993, the department has successfully achieved reaccreditation every three years, a process mandated by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). This level of achievement is recognized around the world among law enforcement agencies as the gold star of professional standards.
The West Monroe Police Department is 100 members strong who make up the following divisions and units; Accreditation, Animal Control, Auxiliary Unit, Corrections, Communications, FBI Safe Streets Task Force, Internal Affairs, Investigations, K-9, Marine Unit, Metro/DEA Narcotics, Patrol, Records, Reserve Officer Unit, Street Crimes Unit and Vehicle Maintenance Shop.